Monday, May 11, 2009

questions

was helping 4 students from ngee ann poly with their assignment, providing them more information about the VWO that im in and sharing with them the different facilities and classes we had over here. at the end of the session, one of the student asked me how i ended up here, and how i feel while working here... etc. some very personal questions.. i was taken aback although it's not my first time answering these sort of questions. but still i was kind of nervous when anwering them that i ended up talking out of topic! hahaha.. Maybe i need to prepare a "standard" answer when i'm post with such questions! hahah. but it might ended up sounding "fake" though..

oh great.. i can take this opportunity to share with you my journey to BH. ahaha..

always wanted to work in the social service sector (working with youth) but was never given a chance to. tried applying but still no one is willing to try me out. :( only had volunteering experiences more over im still getting my degree and not a graduate yet. and partly because im not a christian and most of the place that i applied "prefer" christian or rather they only employ christian. that's how i feeel lah! maybe im wrong? hmmm...

one fine night when i was doing this assignment that required us to do up our resume and "pretend" to send our job application to respective VWO or FSC that's hiring... saw this advertisement on NCSS webby looking for social work support officer (SWA) and i decided to try it out. since it's very near my home. was very happy when they called me up for interview. although this was not what i planned initially (to work with the disabled).. but still i went ahead with the interview. what make it worst was i had no experience at all and dont know what to expect..

i still remember how i feel on the very first day i step into bh... uncertainty, anxiety.. after all this is the first time i came into contact with all of them. when i stepped into the lobby area, i was greeted by a group of smiling male residents standing around waiting for the bus to bring them out for their trip. hands started popping out as they wait patiently for me to shake their hand, calling me "jie jie" as i walked past them.. during the interview, boss shared with me even more stories about them. things that "might" happen. got to admit, it sounds kind of scary. and often i heard me asking myself "if im able to do it." i know myself best and i know that there are some things that im afraid of.

despite all the uncertaintly i had initially and the fact that i will have a very big pay cut... when boss offered me the position, i agreed to it immediately! thats how crazy i am. at that time.. my mind is filled with "YES FINALLY I AM IN THE SOCIAL SERVICE SECTOR! YES IM ONE STEP CLOSER TO WHAT I WANT!! OH YEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!" someone is willing to try me out!! woohooo.. i was so happy that whenever i think about it i will ended up smiling to myself like an idiot! haha.

although it was not what i planned initially.. nevertheless, i still enjoyed myself and really love what i am doing now. i learn alot from everyone of them. i get to experience and do things that i never had in the past. new opportunities given. did alot of things that i never knew that i am capable of.

i kept telling myself that i can do it.. i can do it.. YES I CAN DO IT!!

the type of job satisfaction that you get when working in a social sector is way different from working in a corporate sector. at the end of the day, no matter how tired you are.. when they sincerely thank you for all you had done for them.. when you think back of how much joy you will be bringing into their life.. how their face light up when they see you.. you know its all worth it. (:

No comments: